Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Bacon

I am a good cook! I can follow a recipe and with the exception of some disgusting Bulgar Wheat "Burgers" I made a few years ago, everything turns out pretty much as expected!
I have been on my own and cooking bacon in a fry pan for at least 14 years. I have never understood why it comes out so much different then the bacon you get in a restaurant. That is, until this weekend!
Low and behold, I read the package and the other suggested cooking method was baking the strips in the oven! I have to admit, I was doubtful at first. I mean if this is the better way, why didn't my mother do it this way? I was sceptical but I opted to try it anyway.
So there I was, amazed as I pulled the cookie sheet out of the oven and my bacon perfect!!! It was crisp, but not burned. It was a little flexible but not soft. There was still life left. It was perfect and delicious! I will NEVER stand over a blazing hot fry pan, with bacon grease splatting everywhere, ever again!
I can't really say why this is so fascinating to me, but truthfully, I can't wait until this weekend to BAKE up some bacon all over again!!!

3 comments:

  1. Funny! My mom used to make bacon in the oven now that I think of it! Sometimes on the stove, but she did make it in the oven! I just use one of those bacon cooking trays in the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I just made bacon this morning too and I hate the way it pops oils all over the place. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the great tip. organicmotherhoodwithcoolwhip.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps i'm following you now! i love the name of your blog. hilarious.

    ReplyDelete